Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 16 Update

Bob sent a note saying that the additional x-ray showed
no problems (fractures, etc.) with Primo's wing. The quest for a facility with an
adequately-sized flight cage will begin, very soon, in earnest. 

Neither Bob nor Mike has seen Boxer since I last posted an update.

Here are Bob's notes from visits downtown this week:

Where's Boxer?

I went downtown last evening (Aug 14). I watched for Boxer from about 7:15 to
8:35 p.m. without success.

Both adults were on hand.

The pair came in (from the north/northeast) about 7:53 p.m. Both
perched high on the north face of the ZBT for some time. The tiercel
vocalized for a little while. Looked like he then ate something on top
of one of the three, large , white columns to the west on the north

The falcon flew to the north (8:16 p.m.) and then returned to land on

the northeast corner of the ZBT. The tiercel vocalized upon her

At 8:20 p.m., the tiercel flew up to the west rail on the EGT ... then
(8:26 p.m.) he went to the southeast, shoulder corner of the tall COB.

When I departed at 8:35 p.m. - the tiercel was perched on the
southeast, shoulder corner of the tall COB and the falcon on the
northeast corner of the ZBT.

Since I did not
see, or hear Boxer, I'll go out on a limb to speculate
that she may well have moved on to explore a much bigger world than
she could imagine! However, I'll continue to monitor the family from time
to time.

That's it for the moment/now!

P.S. well, one other thing, I've been watching a pair of
young-of-the-year Swainson's hawks just up the street along Redwood
Road for the last few days ... no surprises ... appear happy to hang close
to the ground in the shade of a huge cottonwood tree during the heat of
the day and appear healthy ... like our downtown kids, they're beauties as


Willi said...

Great update. Again I can't thank you enough for
your dedication. I hope Primo can pull through and have some great practice flights. I'm sure glad he is ok.That was a wonderful rescue, just in time to keep him safe. I get so blue when birds are out of sight., but always in my heart. Great summer full of interesting situations as always.The best was Primo walking into the department store!! And Boxer Sue flying so fantastically high.
More updates are always welcome and put a smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

I want to say thank you as well. I have been checking in on the falcon cam and this blog ever since the local news said they were back. I wish one of the stations would do a follow-up with all of you. Many, I'm sure, are interested but not able to follow along on the internet. Thanks again for your love and care to these beautiful birds.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your updates, i have loved knowing the progress. I too have been watching the progress of the Swainson hawks, as I live in that neighbor hood. I have seen them mots mornings and evenings perched on the wires or poles near the cottonwood tree.

Anonymous said...

Liz and Bob, We hang on every word, every report, since through you, we know how our LOVED FALCONS
are doing....
There is so much emotion involved, as you well know...
And you are our eyes and ears on our Falcon family.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart,

Anonymous said...

Liz and Bob, thanks for the updates. I'm so glad to hear Primo's doing okay. He has a special place in my heart. And I bet Bob's right, Boxer's probably exploring her new world. It's been such a wonderful thing for me to be able to peek into these spectacular creatures' lives. Thanks for giving us all this opportunity. Last night my husband and I saw a peregrine fly above our house (definitely a first for us) on his/her way up American Fork canyon. I wonder if it's one of our former JSMB falcons :)